MOCANNTRADE (THE MISSOURI MEDICAL CANNABIS TRADE ASSOCIATION) IS THE VOICE OF THE INDUSTRY
MoCannTrade is an association of business owners and professionals proactively working together to build a successful, safe and compliant medical cannabis industry.
Our membership-based association is governed by a 15-member Board of Directors and 45-member Advisory Board with backgrounds in medical marijuana, licensed facility operations, as well as healthcare, law, science, agriculture, law enforcement, security, commercial real estate, finance, government and public affairs. Our collective association voice is comprised of five external industry facing committees, 3 internal association management committees, the MoCannTrade PAC, our volunteer staff and full time Executive Director on behalf of over 300 business members.
We are the largest, most influential cannabis trade association in Missouri, speaking with a unified voice to ensure a sensibly regulated and robust state medical marijuana program.
MoCannTrade Beneficiaries Include:
- State Government Regulatory Agencies
- Law Enforcement
- Allied Cannabis Businesses and Service Proviiders
- Healthcare Systems & Professionals
- School Administrators
- Patients & Families
MoCannTrade Member Benefits Include:
- Legislative Representation
- Regulatory and Policy Impact
- Education and Training
- Cannabis Industry Best Practices
- Business Partnerships
- Cannabis-Specific Industry Resources
MoCannTrade is Governed by Professionals Involved in our Community and Relevant Industries Including:
- Commercial Real Estate
- Law Enforcement
CULTIVATION & AGRICULTURE
- Cultivation is the foundation of the cannabis industry from seed germination through vegetation, flower, and harvest
- Grow facility types include indoor, greenhouse or outdoor
- Grow styles include soil mediums, aeroponics, hydroponics, aquaponics
- Controlling environmental factors like temperature, humidity, light and fertigation significantly impact outputs
- Facility outputs are flower buds (for dispensaries) and bulk trim (for extraction)
EXTRACTION & PROCESSING
- Extracts are made using solvents which chemically extract THC, CBD or other components
- Extraction methods include C02, BHO, Cold press, and Ethanol
- Outputs include concentrates, oil, shatter and variety of infused products (gummies, beverages, etc)
- Products are generally packaged and tested prior to retail sale
- Creation of brands and formulations are competitive
- Cannabis products are required to undergo a series of tests by state-accredited labs. Labs screen for potency, levels of THC, CBD, residual pesticides, unwanted contaminants, and mycotoxins like mold and mildew
- When a cannabis product “meets compliance”, it meets the state’s established testing standards and methods
- Lab testing helps ensure products are safe to consume and easy to dose
DISPENSARY & PATIENT CARE
- Dispensaries are licensed facilities where patients are able to legally purchase tested medical cannabis products including flower, pre-rolls, vapor and infused products
- A well trained, knowledgeable staff is essential to ensure patient satisfaction, provide guidance for usage and application and ensure the best possible outcomes based on the conditions being treated
- Dispensaries ensure staff are knowledgeable about their products and medical cannabis in general
Why did MoCannTrade form?
MoCannTrade formed to ensure the industry, stakeholders and licensed operators would have a unified voice to represent our needs with the state agencies, lawmakers, government regulators and policy officials who oversee Missouri’s medical cannabis program.
MoCannTrade supports the overwhelming will of Missouri voters, through a state Constitutional amendment approved in November 2018, to ensure safe, legal access to medical cannabis via physician certification of their qualifying medical condition(s) and access to licensed, compliant, and safe products via retail dispensaries.
Is MoCannTrade a nonprofit organization?
Yes. MoCannTrade generates funding through membership and events to support the association and its members’ needs, and is not a revenue generating body.
Does MoCannTrade have a Political Action Committee (PAC)?
Yes. MoCannTrade PAC was formed as the political action committee to support candidates and causes that share our goal of having the best medical marijuana program in the country.
Fair, sensible and safe legislative, policy and regulatory development are paramount to our industry’s success in Missouri. Please direct all donation requests or outreach to MoCannTrade PAC.
Do you have to be a licensed medical cannabis business in Missouri to become a member of MoCannTrade?
No. There are many allied support businesses and service providers that work in tandem with licensed businesses such as financial organizations, medical providers, security companies, law firms, contractors and suppliers that may never interact with a cannabis plant or product. We believe membership provides valuable relationships, information sharing, and strengthened connections that encourage mutual industry success.
Can I become a member if I am not a resident of Missouri?
Yes. Residency is not a prerequisite. If you are involved in the medical cannabis industry in Missouri, we think you’ll find great value and success by association with MoCannTrade.
How many medical cannabis facilities are licensed in Missouri?
Amendment 2/ Article XIV passed with 66% of the vote in the Nov 6th 2018 election. Article XIV prescribed the state award a minimum of 338 medical marijuana facility licenses and the Department of Health and Senior Services has so far conditionally awarded the following:
- 60 cultivation
- 86 manufacturing
- 192 dispensary
- 10 testing lab
- 17 certified transporter
Is medical cannabis legal in Missouri yet?
Once retail dispensaries open, a cardholding patient can purchase up to 4oz of flower or its equivalent in concentrates per month. Additionally, a Missouri medical cannabis patient card allows for legal possession of up to eight ounces of flower or its equivalent in concentrates (6400mg) at any time without having to reveal the product’s source. Missouri also has a caregiver and patient cultivation program which allows for up to six flowering plants to be cultivated in a secure area of your domicile with the appropriate caregiver or patient cultivation license.
When can I purchase medical marijuana from a licensed facility?
Current estimates indicate that medical marijuana products should be available for retail purchase from licensed dispensaries beginning this summer. A medical card holding patient can purchase up to 4oz of flower or its equivalent per month.
Where are the Missouri medical cannabis dispensaries located?
How many medical marijuana patients are currently enrolled in Missouri?
As of early March, Missouri had 38,677 patients. That’s a pace of more than 1,000 new patients each week since the state began accepting applications. Missouri has an overall state population of 6.1 million people.
Where can I get more patient MMJ card info?
You can learn more about obtaining your MMJ card by visiting the DHSS website here: https://health.mo.gov/safety/medical-marijuana/how-to-apply-pi.php.
How do I find a certifying physician?
Visit www.mocannahub.com (has a Google Play / IOS app with physician finder feature)
Missouri Department of Health | Medical Marijuana Division Toll-Free Access Line: 866-219-0165 (8:30 am – 3:30 pm CST Monday-Friday)
Should I wait to get my certification?
Having a card has its benefits. The possession and use of marijuana for medical conditions in Missouri by patients is legal, for those patients who have applied for and been approved by DHSS, the Department of Health and Senior services.
Will I lose my federal disability eligibility if I use legal medical cannabis?
How do I get a medical cannabis patient card?
You can schedule an appointment with your preferred certifying Missouri physician (D.O. or M.D.) at your convenience via in-person or telemedicine visit. Once you have your physician certification, you will then apply and submit for an identification card from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services via the online patient portal.
The following are required when submitting your patient card application to the state of Missouri:
- Application form
- A completed Physician Written Certification.
- Photocopy of your state ID. Remember that the name and address on your application and state ID must match.
- A $25 application fee.
Physician certifications are only valid for 30 days. If you receive a certification from your physician and don’t submit it with your completed application and the items above within 30 days from the date of the certification, you will be required to get a new certification. Once you have been approved and hold a patient card, the card is valid for one year from date of issue and must be renewed annually. Additional physician information may be found by calling the DHSS Patient Support Center (1-877-303-3117).
Can I legally purchase a firearm if I have a medical card?
The short legal answer is no, but the federal/state conflict has existed in every state with a MMJ program. A very thorough breakdown can be found here: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/can-a-medical-marijuana-patients-legally-own-a-gun
Will I lose my federal disability eligibility if I use legal medical cannabis?
Can I use my medical card from another state?
No. Licensed dispensaries must accept only Missouri-issued cards
How do I get a job in the medical cannabis industry?
MoCannTrade is very passionate about connecting people who want to work in the medical cannabis industry with industry professionals. We are launching an online job board soon.
Is MoCannTrade involved in any Adult Use initiative?
We are singularly focused right now on building this new industry in MO and making our medical cannabis program the best in the country. Should any Adult Use ballot initiative arise, we will evaluate it more closely and work with our board and members to determine our support.